Adopt a Service Orientation
Organizations in the transportation industry face a more competitive, dynamic and demanding marketplace.
The worldwide economy continues to struggle, forcing all kinds of travel and transportation organizations to seek new markets and revenues and cost-efficiencies. Globalization creates opportunities, while introducing powerful and nimble competitors. Customers and travelers expect and demand greater choice and improved services, while governments impose more stringent safety and environmental regulations.
At the same time, technology introduces greater complexities. Systems age, and new applications must be retrofitted to older platforms. Older applications are typically siloed and inflexible, making it difficult to connect them into a seamless supply chain environment. Maintenance and development costs often escalate.
As a result, many organizations struggle to gain an end-to-end view of their customers, react quickly and gain real cost and operational efficiencies.
A service-oriented architecture (SOA) lays the foundation to help organizations succeed in today’s fast-paced and competitive freight and logistics sector. This approach helps enterprises modernize existing applications, deploy new ones and gain a sustainable competitive edge.
A transportation-oriented SOA should deliver a:
- Highly reusable framework that can be adapted to transportation management, billing, operations, sales and marketing, customer management and back-office systems
- Ready-to-use database, logging, security, Web service management, messaging and applications environments
- Rapid scalability of applications, adapters and other major components
- Production environment supported and monitored 24x7
- Flexible test and integration environment that enables full-scale volume testing
- Sophisticated Web service management and a high-speed service bus
SOA will enable your organization to become agile so it can change strategies and have the business systems and processes in place to enable execution well ahead of the competition.
To learn more about a transportation-oriented SOA and how it can benefit your organization, read our white paper, “Adopt a Service Orientation: Leverage this Service-Driven Approach in the Transportation Sector.”