A&D firms are harnessing the agility and costs benefits of cloud-based applications, big data and the hybrid cloud
The need to get new products to market faster and modernize applications is convincing A&D organizations to rethink traditional approaches to how applications and IT resources are managed. Today, most companies have moved some of their applications to the cloud. However, due largely to security concerns, few have taken full advantage of the agility and cost benefits of a cloud-based operating model.
Cloud-based systems can serve an important role in coordinating R&D, engineering and testing between employees and external partners. Launching a new product may require the implementation of an entire ecosystem of applications; however, many A&D companies face significant challenges in rapidly rolling out applications and provisioning the infrastructure for testing and production.
Hampered by outdated legacy systems that are siloed around product and organizational lines, organizations are struggling. With as much as 70 percent of IT spending going toward maintaining legacy systems, little is left for developing innovative applications to generate new revenue streams and modernizing programs to upgrade, refactor and cloud-enable core applications.
This dynamic environment requires these key capabilities:
- Cloud enablement of applications. To begin, A&D companies need to assess the entire application portfolio. DXC can help you formulate a clear vision and strategy to shape, transform and manage your applications and move them to a cloud-based, as-a-service model with DXC’s Application Transformation Accelerator. DXC also can help launch and integrate new SaaS applications and refactor older legacy code. FuturEdge for Modernization includes specialized tools and the appropriate modernization treatments to quickly and economically move applications to the cloud.
- Hybrid Cloud Management. The reality for A&D companies is that the future of infrastructure management lies in the hybrid cloud. A thorough assessment of applications will reveal the need for a hybrid environment of public and private clouds, based on workloads and security requirements. DXC's Agility Platform is a consolidated platform for hybrid cloud management, governance and security across multiple public and private clouds. This platform helps A&D firms accelerate the adoption of cloud services to safely deliver business applications. It uses an application-centric policy-based engine to manage governance, security, automation and application portability across different clouds and cloud suppliers.
- Data Storage and Analytics. A&D manufacturers already have access to massive amounts of information from sensors, embedded software, operational technology (OT) and IT systems. The ability to mine this data for real-time business insights can help drive new programs and new revenues. Big Data Platform as a Service is a fully integrated platform that uses advanced Web-scale technologies to enable application developers to quickly develop, test and deploy applications that require any combination of ad hoc, batch and real-time analytics.
- Private Cloud as a Service. For A&D companies some applications will require the segregation of a private cloud. DXC BizCloud, is a fully integrated private-cloud service that’s billed on a consumption basis and ready for workload and application deployment in 10 weeks. It offers a resilient Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) delivered as a private cloud either on the customer site or from DXC Cloud data centers with no capital investment required. DXC is industry-recognized for IaaS, managed infrastructure solutions and managed security services.
- Application Development in the Cloud. Once organizations move to a hybrid cloud environment, the ability to develop and test new applications on a cloud platform removes bottlenecks, automates and manages software release, and improves efficiency. DXC’s Cloud Development Services help you build quality business applications or accelerate SaaS delivery. Our Cloud DevOps automates and governs key aspects of the Dev-to-Ops lifecycle including on-demand provisioning of platforms, embedding standard operating environments upstream, automating application and service configuration, and managing security and development activities. We can also help you build new mobile or custom applications; utilize proprietary development platforms, cloud development and open source; integrate COTS or new SaaS applications; and implement new SOA and Business Intelligence services.
- Enterprise Cybersecurity Management. In the modern era of advanced persistent threats and sophisticated state-sponsored adversaries, A&D companies must take aggressive steps to secure their systems and intellectual property. DXC has a comprehensive suite of cybersecurity consulting, managed services and tools to secure data on premises and in the cloud. DXC Managed Security Services uses Advanced Threat Detection (ATD) designed to help companies defend themselves against today’s most serious and malicious cyber threats. DXC ATD helps organizations develop a comprehensive Detect-Analyze-Adapt-Respond lifecycle based on its unique risk profile.