CSC Delivers Earnings Growth, Margin Expansion and Improved Cash Flow Performance in Second Quarter Fiscal 2016
News Release -- November 04, 2015
- Diluted Earnings per Share from Continuing Operations of $1.19
- Non-GAAP Diluted Earnings per Share from Continuing Operations of $1.26, up 7% YoY
- Income from Continuing Operations Before Taxes of $176 Million
- Operating Income, adjusted for certain items, of $331 Million and Operating Income Margin on the same basis of 12.2%, up 90 basis points YoY
- Year-to-date Net Cash Provided by Operating Activities of $441 Million
- Year-to-date Free Cash Flow of $170 Million, up $69 Million YoY
- FY16 Non-GAAP EPS from Continuing Operations Target Remains $4.75 to $5.05
FALLS CHURCH, Va., Nov. 4, 2015 – CSC (NYSE: CSC) today reported results for the second quarter of fiscal year 2016.
“Second quarter results were in-line with our expectations," said Mike Lawrie, president and CEO. “Profitability again improved year-over-year in our commercial business and remained strong in our public sector business, and we delivered improved cash flow. During the quarter, we also completed the acquisitions of Fixnetix and Fruition Partners, which are consistent with our strategy of shifting our revenue mix to applications, consulting, and next-generation offerings with better growth, profitability, and cash flow. Finally, we remain on track to complete the separation of our U.S. public sector business, pay the $10.50 per share special dividend to shareholders, and complete the merger of our public sector business with SRA.”
- Diluted earnings per share from continuing operations were $1.19 in the second quarter and included ($0.30) per share in separation, merger, and other transaction costs, ($0.01) per share in SEC settlement-related items, ($0.14) per share in real estate restructuring charges, and $0.38 per share from a tax valuation allowance benefit. Excluding these items, non-GAAP diluted earnings per share from continuing operations were $1.26, up 7 percent when compared with $1.18 in the second quarter of fiscal 2015.
- Income from continuing operations before taxes was $176 million. Excluding the impact of certain items, non-GAAP income from continuing operations before taxes was $247 million compared with $245 million a year ago.
- Operating income was $308 million. Operating income, adjusted for certain items, was $331 million and compares with $349 million in the prior year. Operating margin on the same basis was 12.2 percent, up from 11.3 percent in the prior year.
- Income from continuing operations was $173 million for the second quarter. Excluding the impact of the items discussed above, non-GAAP income from continuing operations was $183 million, compared with $177 million in the prior year.
- Earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT) was $204 million and included $48 million in separation, merger, and other transaction costs, $2 million in SEC settlement-related items, and $21 million in real estate restructuring charges. Adjusting for these items, EBIT was $275 million, and compares with $276 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2015, and EBIT margin was 10.1 percent, up from 9.0 percent in the prior year.
- Year-to-date, net cash provided by operating activities was $441 million compared with $490 million in the prior year.
- Year-to-date, free cash flow was $170 million compared with $101 million in the prior year, an increase of $69 million.
Global Business Services
GBS revenue of $891 million in the quarter compares with $1,003 million in the year ago quarter, a decline of 3.7 percent year-over-year in constant currency. The GBS revenue decline was driven by the ongoing repositioning of our consulting business and contract completions in our applications business. GBS operating margin, excluding the impact of certain items, was 12.8 percent, down slightly from 13.0 percent a year ago. New business awards for GBS were $0.7 billion in the second quarter.
Global Infrastructure Services
GIS revenue of $854 million in the quarter compares with $1,036 million in the year-ago quarter, a decline of 10.8 percent year-over-year in constant currency. The GIS revenue decline was driven by the impact of restructured contracts, other contract completions, and price-downs, which more than offset growth in next-generation offerings. GIS operating margin, excluding the impact of certain items, was 8.5 percent, up from 6.6 percent a year ago. New business awards for GIS were $0.7 billion in the quarter.
North American Public Sector
NPS revenue was $967 million in the second quarter, a decrease of 7.1 percent when compared with $1,041 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2015. The NPS revenue decline was driven by program completions and changes in task orders, which more than offset new work across all parts of the business. NPS operating margin, excluding the impact of certain items, was 16.6 percent, up from 15.4 percent in the prior year. New business awards for NPS were $1.5 billion in the quarter.
Returning Capital to Shareholders and Separation Update
During the second quarter, CSC returned $32 million to shareholders in common stock dividends. Separately, CSC today announced that its Board of Directors has approved proceeding with the previously announced separation of its U.S. public sector business under a new name, CSRA Inc., as well as the declaration of a special cash distribution of $10.50 in the aggregate per CSC share. The separation will occur through a one-for-one pro rata distribution of all CSRA shares to CSC stockholders on November 27, 2015 after market close.
CSC had 138,472,660 basic shares outstanding on October 2, 2015.
Earnings Conference Call and Webcast
CSC senior management will host a conference call and webcast at 5 p.m. ET today. The dial-in number for domestic callers is 800-218-2154. Callers who reside outside of the United States or Canada should dial 913-312-0963. The passcode for all participants is 8931468. The webcast audio and any presentation slides will be available on CSC’s Investor Relations website.
A replay of the conference call will be available from approximately two hours after the conclusion of the call until November 11, 2015. The replay dial-in number is 888-203-1112 for domestic callers and 719-457-0820 for callers who reside outside of the United States and Canada. The replay passcode is also 8931468. A replay of this webcast will also be available on CSC’s website.
Investor Day Webcast
CSC will host an Investor Day tomorrow, November 5, 2015, in New York, with presentations beginning at approximately 9:30 a.m. ET. An audio webcast of the Investor Day and any presentation slides will be available on CSC’s Investor Relations website. The dial-in number for domestic callers is 877 790-0014. Callers who reside outside of the United States or Canada should dial 706 634-5163. The Conference Identification number for all participants is 75987678.
In an effort to provide investors with additional information regarding the Company’s preliminary and unaudited results as determined by U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), the Company has also disclosed in this press release preliminary non-GAAP information, and certain further adjustments thereto, which management believes provides useful information to investors, including: operating income, adjusted operating income, earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT), adjusted EBIT, free cash flow, and non-GAAP results including non-GAAP income (loss) from continuing operations and non-GAAP diluted earnings (loss) per share from continuing operations. Reconciliations of the preliminary non-GAAP measures to the respective and most directly comparable GAAP measures, as well as the rationale for management’s use of non-GAAP measures, are included below.
Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC) is a global leader of next generation information technology (IT) services and solutions. The Company's mission is to enable superior returns on our clients’ technology investments through best-in-class industry solutions, domain expertise and global scale. CSC has approximately 70,000 employees and reported revenue of $11.3 billion for the 12 months ended October 2, 2015. For more information, visit the company's website at www.dxc.technology.
All statements in this press release and in all future press releases that do not directly and exclusively relate to historical facts constitute “forward-looking statements.” These statements represent the Company’s intentions, plans, expectations and beliefs, and are subject to risks, uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside the Company’s control. These factors could cause actual results to differ materially from such forward-looking statements. For a written description of these factors, see the section titled “Risk Factors” in CSC’s Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended April 3, 2015 and any updating information in subsequent SEC filings. The Company disclaims any intention or obligation to update these forward-looking statements whether as a result of subsequent event or otherwise, except as required by law.
Download the PDF (223 KB)